Through various types of bequests to Tek4Kids, you may secure a charitable estate-tax deduction for the value of the gift. Best of all, you will know that your generosity will support Tek4Kids’ mission for years to come.
You may prefer to state in your will or trust a sum of money or a percentage of your estate that you wish to give to Tek4Kids.
Whatever form of bequest you choose, it is not subject to federal estate taxes and so significantly reduces the tax burden of an estate. The value of the bequest may be deducted when the taxable estate is determined, and there is no limit to the deduction.
How It Works
- You include a bequest provision in your will or revocable trust.
- At your death, Tek4Kids receives the bequest you specified.
- You may change your bequest or trust designation at any time
- You control the funding property during your lifetime
- Your bequest or trust designation will not be subject to any potential federal estate tax
- You provide future support for Tek4Kids by making a transformational gift
Gifts of Retirement Assets
You can make a gift to Tek4Kids through your estate by naming Tek4Kids as a beneficiary of a qualified retirement plan account, such as an IRA, 401(k), 403(b), Keogh or similar account. Upon your death, all or a portion of the unused balance in your account is transferred to Tek4Kids as a charitable gift.
Retirement plan assets are among the best assets to use for charitable gifts because if these assets are left to your heirs, they could eventually be taxed at 50% or 60%.
Other benefits include:
- Your estate benefits from a charitable deduction on the full amount given to charity
- Charitable designations are free from all federal income and estate tax
- These gifts are considered non-probate assets
- The process of naming Tek4Kids as beneficiary is simple with no legal counsel needed
You can name Tek4Kids as a beneficiary of your plan by contacting your plan administrator who will provide you with a form to designate Tek4Kids as a primary or contingent beneficiary of your account, and the amount or percentage of assets that you wish to give. If you are married, they may also ask you for the consent of your spouse.
Gifts of Life Insurance
If your goal is to make a gift to Tek4Kids at no cost and also to enjoy tax savings, a gift of life insurance is an option.
- no longer have use for your paid-up life insurance policy
- wish to donate an existing policy
- wish to create a new policy
You can use it to make a charitable gift to Tek4Kids by designating Tek4Kids as beneficiary to your life insurance policy or giving the policy to the Tek4Kids outright. Either option may offer substantial tax savings.
How It Works
- Paid-up Insurance Policy – You can make an outright gift to Tek4Kids of a paid-up policy. Tek4Kids can accept the cash value of the policy or we can keep the policy until its death benefit is realized. You can receive a deduction equaling the cost of a replacement policy. This is based on a one-life policy based on your current age.
- Existing Insurance Policy – You can maintain your current policy and continue to pay the premiums. You name Tek4Kids as the owner and primary beneficiary under the policy. You will receive an income tax deduction on the total of the premiums already paid or for the fair market value of the policy, whichever has the lesser value.
- New Insurance Policy – You can create a new policy naming Tek4Kids as owner and beneficiary of the policy.
This vehicle is especially attractive and manageable for younger donors who want to assist Tek4Kids. When you purchase this new policy and donate it as a gift to Tek4Kids as the owner, the premiums you pay are, as a rule, deductible on your federal income tax.
Gifts made via insurance policies provide an excellent way for you to make a significant gift to Tek4Kids—a gift you may not otherwise be able to make at the time. Modest payments for policies are spread out over the years and will enable you to leave a significant bequest gift.
Gifts of insurance can also be leveraged for wealth replacement not only to protect your heirs, but it can enable you to make a significant charitable gift now.
You can also use your company’s or Tek4Kids’s life insurance (part of your benefit package) by naming Tek4Kids as the beneficiary of the policy.